or
Sign in with lockrMail

Ex-Royal Butler Reveals Prince Harry’s 'Biggest Concern' About Returning To The UK: "He Will Be..."

harry final cover
Source: Getty Images| Max Mumby/Indigo

Prince Harry attends The Invictus Games Foundation 10th anniversary service.

March 31 2025, Published 11:56 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to FlipboardShare to Email

Prince Harry stepped down as a senior royal and moved to California in 2020. He lives a comparatively low-key life with his wife and two children, away from the scrutiny of the British press. Commenting on the exiled Prince, a royal butler has claimed that his return to the UK is highly unlikely. He revealed that the Duke is hesitant to go back over serious security concerns.

Article continues below advertisement

King Charles' former butler, Grant Harrold, told The Mirror, “I think Harry's biggest concern about returning is anyone trying to attack him or his family because there is a love-hate relationship between him and the British public." He added, "He will be worried about that relationship, there is always a risk and that will always be in the back of his mind...I'm sure it's part of the reason he doesn't want to return, and he is worried about any assassination attempts on him or his family.”

Article continues below advertisement

In a 2023 statement to the high court, Harry expressed his desire for his children to 'feel at home' in the UK, but they cannot if 'it's not possible to keep them safe.' Sharing that he does consider the UK home, he admitted it was 'with great sadness' that he and his wife, Meghan Markle, had to abscond in 2020. Harry took legal action against the UK Government when his protective security detail was reduced. However, the Prince lost the case, with high court judge, Sir Peter Lane, finding that “there has not been any unlawfulness in reaching the decision” to reduce his security.

Article continues below advertisement

In a sit-down for the ITV1 documentary, Tabloids On Trial, Harry opened up about his decision not to return to the UK. He told the outlet, “Whether it's a knife or acid, these are things that are genuine concerns for me. It's one of the reasons why I won't bring my wife back to this country.” He also revealed that his legal battles against the tabloid press have been a key factor in his rift with family members. “I have made it very clear that this is something that needs to be done; it would be nice if we did it as a family,” he explained.

Article continues below advertisement

Commenting on the same, former butler Harrold seemed unsure whether Harry should receive security or pay for it himself. He said, “Even former prime ministers still get security, and he is a former working royal, so you would think he is entitled to that. The other argument is that he is able to pay for his security in the United States, could he not pay for his own when they are in the UK." Harry, however, has had a small ray of hope as he won the right to appeal after previously losing his bid for security.

Advertisement

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2025 THE ROYAL OBSERVER™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. THE ROYAL OBSERVER is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.