Harry Once Banned Meghan Markle from Discussing 3 Topics to Avoid Same Fate As Mom Diana

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry at Hudson Yards on October 10, 2023, in NYC.
March 31 2025, Published 10:04 a.m. ET
Meghan Markle’s 2017 Vanity Fair interview created quite the stir, as despite Prince Harry reportedly imposing several restrictions, things turned out otherwise. Harry allegedly had prohibited Markle from discussing three topics—Donald Trump, race, and their relationship. Vanity Fair journalist, Sam Kashner, conducted the interview just two months before Harry and Markle announced their engagement. The interview was meant to highlight only Markle’s biracial heritage and her role on her hit legal drama series Suits. However, instead, the headline mentioned her relationship with Harry. According to a royal expert, Harry and the Palace were furious with the outcome.
In his book titled Revenge: Meghan, Harry and the War Between the Windsors, author Tom Bower shared that Markle was overjoyed initially when offered a feature in Vanity Fair but felt very conscious while answering the questions. As reported by OK! magazine, Bower wrote, "Kashner arrived at Meghan's home and was told that his interviewee had been given strict instructions by both Harry and Keleigh Thomas Morgan [a publicist at PR firm Sunshine Sachs]. Knowing that [Princess] Diana and Sarah Ferguson had ruined their reputations in interviews, Harry had asked Meghan to keep quiet about sensitive subjects—Donald Trump, race, their relationship, and especially himself. He was not to be mentioned."
Despite the precautions taken, the magazine cover boldly declared, “She’s Just Wild About Harry!” alongside a close-up photo of the soon-to-be Duchess of Sussex. As per E! Online, during the interview, Markle had let slip, “We are a couple. We are in love. I am sure there will be a time when we will have to come forward and present ourselves and have stories to tell, but I hope what people will understand is that this is our time. This is for us. It’s part of what makes it so special, that it’s just ours. But we are happy. Personally, I love a great love story.”
As per Mirror, Bower wrote, "Within hours, Meghan called Ken Sunshine [founder of Sunshine Sachs Consultants] and Keleigh Thomas Morgan. Hysterically, she described Buckingham Palace's fury at 'Wild About Harry'. Sunshine Sachs said Meghan should have ensured that her comments about Harry were removed. Why wasn't the focus on her philanthropy and activism?” Shortly after the call, Sunshine worried that Markle might drop his agency. Confused by Buckingham Palace's reaction, he contacted the magazine's editor with what he believed was a serious warning.
According to Bower, the palace wasn’t very pleased with Markle’s candid discussion about her relationship with Harry. The interview reportedly sparked intense debate, with critics accusing her of mentioning her relationship for personal fame, as reported by She Knows.