Home / Latest News / Meghan Markle

Meghan Markle Court Case: British Tabloid Plans To Appeal Over Privacy Lawsuit, Duchess Wins $627,000 For Legal Costs

British tabloid the 'Mail on Sunday' announced they would plan to appeal over Meghan Markle's privacy lawsuit case. Get details.

meghan markle trial
Source: MEGA

British tabloid the Mail on Sunday announced on Tuesday, March 2, that they will plan to appeal over Meghan Markle’s privacy lawsuit case after they published a letter she wrote to her estranged father, Thomas Markle, in 2018. 

In written submissions, Associated Newspapers’ lawyer Antony White asked the High Court Judge to grant permission to appeal, saying the bid to overturn Mark Warby’s ruling "would have a real prospect of success."

In response, attorneys for the former actress, 39, demanded the publisher to give back the letters and destroy any electronic copies. Additionally, they asked the judge to order the Mail on Sunday to remove five articles from its website and to run a statement about the Duchess’ victory. 

"The defendant defiantly continues to do the very acts which the court has held are unlawful," Ian Mill, an attorney for Meghan, said. "The defendant has failed to deliver up copies it has of the letter such that the threat to infringe and further to misuse her private information remains real and, inexplicably, the defendant has still not removed the infringing articles from MailOnline."

Meghan's lawyers are requesting up to $2.1 million from the lawsuit and asked the judge to order Associated Newspapers (ANL) to pay £750,000 towards the legal costs within the next two weeks.

"The High Court today ruled that the Mail on Sunday should pay 90% of legal costs ($1.87m) incurred by Meghan's side for her privacy and copyright case. Justice Warby calculated the sum based 'on matters on which she succeeded.' The Mail’s publisher ANL had hoped to pay just 75%," royal reporter Omid Scobie wrote on Twitter.

"After stating their grounds of appeal, the Mail on Sunday has been denied permission to appeal last month’s verdict. The Mail’s publisher—who have been ordered to initially pay £450k ($627k) of Meghan’s legal costs in the next 14 days—can still apply to the Court of Appeal," he continued.

"£450,000 [$627,000] is about as generous as the claimant could expect in all the circumstances," Warby said. 

The Suits alum sued Associated Newspapers Limited for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement after they published a letter she wrote to Thomas before she married Prince Harry

FROM CHRISTMAS SERVICES TO TROOPING THE COLOUR: HOW THE ROYALS CELEBRATE THEIR INTRIGUING FAMILY TRADITIONS

Last month, Warby ruled that the publisher infringed on Meghan’s copyright. "The claimant had a reasonable expectation that the contents of the Letter would remain private. The Mail Articles interfered with that reasonable expectation," Warby said, adding that Meghan's letter to her father was "manifestly excessive and hence unlawful."

However, Warby said there should be a “limited trial” to go over whether Meghan was “the sole author” of the letter. The trial will take place in the fall. 

PRINCE CHARMING IN REAL LIFE! THE 10 MOST ELIGIBLE ROYAL BACHELORS IN THE WORLD — SEE PHOTOS

Following the trial, Meghan spoke out about the ongoing ordeal. “After two long years of pursuing litigation, I am grateful to the courts for holding Associated Newspapers and The Mail on Sunday to account for their illegal and dehumanizing practices. These tactics (and those of their sister publications MailOnline and the Daily Mail) are not new; in fact, they’ve been going on for far too long without consequence. For these outlets, it’s a game. For me and so many others, it’s real life, real relationships, and very real sadness. The damage they have done and continue to do runs deep,” she told ET Canada in a statement.

GET BREAKING ROYAL NEWS
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

More Stories

While Andrew has recently been in the news for all the wrong reasons, his encounter with an alleged stalker has left everyone scared.
By Medha Sengupta · AUG 7, 2026
Kate Middleton's latest Wimbledon outfit wasn't all-new—and that's exactly what caught fashion fans' attention!
By Mehak Walia · JUL 13, 2026
Getting invited to the Swift-Kelce wedding became a race, a status symbol, as numerous high-profile individuals lobbied to get an inside pass.
By Mary Anthony · JUL 6, 2026
Prince William joked about Travis Kelce’s most memorable moment being outside his football career.
By Mary Anthony · JUL 3, 2026
Princess Anne stepped out in this iconic dress from 1984 and royal fans are impressed!
By Hrishita Das · JUN 27, 2026
Kate Middleton and Melinda Gates reportedly came together at Windsor Castle over a shared passion for a cause they both support.
By Ira Deokule · JUN 25, 2026
Prince William and Robert Irwin's appearance at a climate event was meant to inspire change, but fans quickly focused on something else.
By Mary Anthony · JUN 24, 2026
Royal watchers may have spotted a subtle shift in the monarchy during Trooping the Colour 2026, and it's closely aligned with Prince William's long-term plans for the institution.
By Mary Anthony · JUN 13, 2026
As King Charles celebrates Trooping the Colour, actress Helen Mirren has been awarded one of Britain's rarest honors.
By Hrishita Das · JUN 13, 2026
Meghan Markle treats fans to a new family photo carousel featuring Prince Harry, Prince Lilibet, and a sweet nod to pop icon Beyoncé.
By Ira Deokule · JUN 10, 2026